Monday, October 19, 2009

dear boston, see you in april. love, christi

I began running, my freshman year in high school.  I ran the 300 meter and 100 meter hurdles.  Don’t be fooled; I wasn’t any good.  As it was, I was too slow for the fast sprints, and I didn’t have the endurance to do anything longer than 400 meters.  So, I opted for the race that needed both strength, mental focus, and most of all, technique.  I ran though high school, switching to long distance my senior year—I had a few really great, kooky runner friends and I was pushed by them and a fantastic coach, Joe Poggi.  Although I wasn’t winning races, I was a part of their team and they were so very supportive.  Coach Poggi helped me reach a longtime goal in high school, of breaking 7 minutes in the mile at my very last track race.

Immediately after starting school at Cal, I missed being on a team.  I missed my community, and I missed just having something to do after school.  I joined Cal Triathlon since my high school boyfriend had attempted Ralph’s Half-Ironman in Oceanside and Ironman Utah that year (crazy, I know!).  It gave me an inkling that I might want to begin that new sport.

Fast forward several years—I’ve done many, many triathlons--one half ironman (Wildflower Long Course), and 2 marathons—California International Marathon and Stinson Beach Trail Marathon.  My times for those were 3:59:46 and 4:54, respectively.  Moving to Boulder and working for Ironman presented a new challenge—1) with the constant travel, I could no longer train on the bike and the swim like I used to, and 2) for my next race, I wanted to do something different…and more challenging.

I decided to run the Sacramento Cowtown Marathon, since I was able to talk Marisa Lindsay (Popo) to run with me, the start line was literally within a mile from Paw-Paw’s home and that gave me an excuse to go home, and it was cheap.  :-) 

Though I am probably biased, Dwight is a remarkable and talented coach.  He trained me for 3 races previously; getting me through the Stinson Beach Marathon in under 5 hours was no easy feat—and he ran…likely 15 of those miles with me, starting after mile 7 when I fell and “hit the wall” (and seriously contemplated quitting).  He led me to a Wildflower Long Course Goal (sub 6 hours), and a new PR for me on the swim.  He also helped me to run a 1:42 half marathon in San Francisco…and on a hilly course, at that. 

He’s caring and I think really takes a look at the strengths and weaknesses of each athlete that he coaches, understanding what workouts they flourish under, and which ones they can do without.  That is, he’ll never set you up for failure.  He gave me many a “pep talk” on the days that I just didn’t think I had the mental capacity to race and he listened to me talk endlessly about my fears, my goals, and everything in between.  We adjusted my training plans to my difficult work schedule, and what I think is the best quality he has in a coach, is that he is constantly reading about running and exercise physiology and coaching philosophy, and…more.  If you’ve been to our house, you’ll see all of the books we have…he burns through those and is eager to learn more about motivation, about what makes people great athletes…about what works.  And he’s willing and wants to try those theories out on himself, on his athletes, etc.  For him, if there are roadblocks, injuries, etc.—there are always ways around that—and always other options.   He’s introduced me to a new novel, “Born to Run” by Christopher McDougall that I believe, has changed my life.  We even have Chia seeds in our kitchen now.

Prior to this race marathon training consisted of maybe 3 runs a week, and I was always training for triathlons at the same time (swimming and cycling frequently).  This time around, I focused on both strength training and running, running, running.   It was tough training this time around—much more focused, much more “garmin”-centered and I had an added plus—I was doing a lot of my training in Boulder, CO—our new home—altitude being 5430 ft..

I had a few key workouts that I think that really helped me to grow as a runner—and because of them I think it really helped to build my confidence going into the race.  I think that my running improved and overall, my form really did too.  I found a few key shoes (Newtons and Nike Free 5.0 and 3.0) that really worked for me—I’ve never done a race in such a lightweight shoe—and without pain.  It’s really exciting to see how far I’ve come. 

Race morning, I woke up, ate 2 pieces of sourdough toast and had a small coffee at Starbuck’s.  I was supremely edgy driving in the morning.  I even prayed.  I don’t know where I stand with religion sometimes but sometimes, praying allows me to put it in someone else’s hands but my own.  I prayed for being safe, for the race, and for wings when the race got tough. 

Once Dwight and I headed down to the race site, picked up my packet and lithograph (http://www.sacramentocowtownmarathon.com/pdfs/Cowtown-Lithograph.pdf) , and then waited for Popo, I started to relax.  Popo and I were wearing matching blue and yellow tie-dyed shirts—it wasn’t hard to find her.  We chatted nervously, headed back to the car, I stuffed my gus into my sport bra, and we jogged back to the race site.  We didn’t have too much time, so we just lined ourselves up just in front of the 3:40 pace group.

The gun went off.  We started out—the first couple miles felt great—I felt like we were going easy—the times ticked off…8:10, 8:05, etc.—we even threw in a couple sub-8 minute miles in there…a little fast , and I was uncomfortable with the cushion.  I’m more of a “8:24, 8:24, 8:24” type of person—I like being steady and consistent, the whole way through . But we were trying a new race strategy (for me), to run the races more quickly at the start, to build up a cushion of time, for later on.  It in no way felt easy (I was doing all my long runs at about 9:15ish pace) but at the same time, it didn’t feel totally terrible.  Ironically, the 3:40 pacer was SO ANNOYING and wouldn’t stop talking; all we wanted to do was run away from her.  Literally, the chatter never stopped and you couldn’t not listen to it.   Plus, she was going a little fast (too fast for 8:24 miles) and I knew it…we ended up slowly bridging our way up to the 3:30 pacer.  Popo said between breaths that if we caught up to him, we just shouldn’t pass him.  I had confidence, but I didn’t quite have sub-3:30 confidence for this race. 

I enjoyed the course, and I’d recommend running a lapped marathon again—while it’s slightly annoying because you have to do 2 loops when other people are finishing the half marathon, at the same time it’s nice to know what to expect the second time around—to know when it will feel lonely, to know when you’ll have certain turnarounds, etc.  I felt pretty good, still, after the half marathon.  I didn’t eat very much during the race—1 gu around 50 minutes, and then I tried to eat another at the half.  The slippery sports shield made me drop it, so I ditched that one and then waited a little and then tried again the second time.  About mile 16 I HAD to pee and didn’t think I could last the whole race having the constant pressing on my bladder, every step.  J  I ran into a portopottie and then kept on.  At that time, I had been following 2 Aussies…once I ducked into the portopottie, they were well ahead of me and I was alone.  

Completely alone.  

I kept going, keeping them in sight, but mentally, it was difficult.  One foot in front of the other, though—and I just kept at it.  About mile 16, I saw someone wearing a familiar navy blue shirt, riding his bike towards me—it was Jay!  I screamed out, JAY!  and he put the biggest smile on his face.  He hopped off his bike, then grabbed a brochure-like folded sign from his backpack made out of foamcore—it read “GO CHRISTI!” and was so, so awesome to see him right then.  I kept going, with a big smile on my face, and he went ahead of me.  I again saw him right by the marina and just felt like I wanted to give him a giant hug—I did—while running—I kind of dragged him along with me.  I figured, if the hug is what stops me from getting 3:40, then who cares—I need to give Jay a hug for being there.  J  

Mile 20 and mile 21 came.  Those were tough, but I felt great because I knew that the end was near.  I wouldn’t say that I “hit the wall” but it definitely got tougher…passing some of the half-marathoners felt great, and I even saw a few special people towards the end—my mom and auntie d, robyn, and katie (dwizz dos)!  J  Although the last 5 miles didn't "fly" by, it was comforting to know that I was able to stop and walk (if I wanted) and I would likely still get under 3:40.  

As I was coming across the line, I saw the clock in front of me that said "3:33:25, 3:33:26, 3:33:27, etc." I sprinted, thinking...how cool to get 3:33:33!  Super lucky.  Well, I didn't.  3:33:34 was the final time.  Oh well.  And to think, if I hadn't stopped in that port-o-pottie...

Since then, recovery's been slow, but I ran yesterday (part of the Denver Marathon with my friend Andy J) and I ran for an hour...not too shabby...and my legs are starting to feel better each day.  


I thought I'd write a things that really helped me out this time around...

  • I love my dog.  Scout ran with me a LOT of my long runs.  What a sweetheart.  She even ran just over 3 hours with me, just over 19.25 miles.  WHAT a trooper.
  • Altitude, altitude, altitude!  Say what you want, but it works.  I ran a GOOD 15 seconds/mile faster than I was training at.  Legs felt exhausted at the end, but my lungs felt great.
  • Gu = my favorite food.  They even have "Roctane: Pineapple" flavor out, that I got in Kona!  Mmmm.  I prefer "Just Plain."
  • Treadmills do not = evil.  In fact, just the opposite.  2 weeks before the race when I was stuck in LA, I did 2 hours on the treamill.  1 hour at 8:40-8:30, then 5 x [6' at 7:50-7:55, 1' easy], then 25' easy.  If you can run 2 hours on a treadmill, I think you can do anything.
  • Don't second guess your coach...if he/she tells you to do something, it's for a reason.  
  • Coach Dwight rules!  
  • Rest/go easy when you're tired. It usually means...you're tired. :-)
Next up--2 months of strength training, following the "Dwight Upshaw--GET RIPPED!" plan...and then I plan to start training for my first Ironman in January.

Ironman Coeur D'Alene, here I come!


No comments:

Post a Comment